Here's what you can do on SpaceBase:
Hi there. We're working hard on this software, but this site is in beta, so there are some rough edges. We will be releasing early and often, and bringing up new features as quickly as possible. Here's what you can use today:
- New Zealand Space Directory - A directory of all the organizations and people that the space community in New Zealand could point us to - researched and developed by people like you. You can add yourself or your organization today, or recommend one. You can slice and dice the directory data with our faceted search functions.
- New Zealand Space Calendar - A calendar of all the relevant events the New Zealand space community can supply. Find events near you and enjoy the community.
- Organization Hosting - Organizations on SpaceBase are getting more functional every day. You can take ownership of your organization (or point us at the best owner), mange members, discussions, resources, and more.
What's on the Roadmap?
We're agile, so we would ask you the same question! The main reason for you to use this site early is to participate in helping make it into something you will find useful, and hopefully, love. We need your feedback and suggestions to get there. Send email to email@example.com, to chat with us. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Here are some features we are working on:
- Projects - SpaceBase staff will create projects to manage our impact programs. Site members can create them to manage their projects, too.
- Voting System - SpaceBase members will be able to vote on Projects they would like SpaceBase staff and other members to support.
- Publications - SpaceBase will be publishing content crowdsource from our community.
- Opportunity Board - Site members will be able to post opportunities and collaborate on them.
- More powerful Organizations - We intend to make SpaceBase organizations a more useful presence that integrates with the capabilities of the larger site.
- More powerful User Profiles - Integrations with other directories like LinkedIn, and more expressive profile data.
You, space folk, are our people. We knew before we started that we would be working on this with you or not at all. We will prioritize these features based on your input.
Using this Site
Searching the Directory
Search is available site-wide or by category. Every search box on SpaceBase will tell you what you are searching when the box is empty.
Site-wide search will search Organizations AND People on SpaceBase, as of this writing.
Site-wide search is done as you would expect - by entering some text, and hitting search. The text you enter is called a "search string".
You can put a search string in quotes, like "space challenge". If you enter that string into a site search box, it will return people and organizations with the complete, precise, ordered, case-insensitive search string "space challenge" in the title or description. Without quotes, you are searching for "space" OR "challenge".
If you search by category, you will have access to advanced search features of that category of data.
For example, if you search Organizations on the Organization page, you will be able to filter the search results by City and Industry Segment. Enter your text string, and use the checkboxes to select things you would like included in your search.
We're adding advanced search features as we add new categories of data and new fields on each category.
The "Join" button on the homepage will ask you to fill out a member profile. Click on the join button and fill out your profile. There are only a couple required fields - takes but a few seconds.
You'll get an email asking you to confirm that you asked to do that. Confirm by clicking on the link. That's all it takes!
You will have to agree to our Terms and Conditions to complete your membership. Keep in mind that your profile data is public, except for your email address. We will never share your email with anyone through this site, for any reason. We do need your email address to contact you at times - such as to verify or recover your membership.
Joining an Organization
Once you are a logged in member, you can join an organization. Search is the best way to find the organization you want. Just type the name of the organization you want to join into the search box on the homepage. If the organization is on SpaceBase, you can select it to see it's profile page, and you can join it with the Join button.
The owner of the organization will not have to approve your membership, but they may revoke it. We might change this based on feedback.
Creating and managing an Organization
Before you create an organization, search for it to make sure it's not already there. If an exact match is not found, then you will see a link at the bottom of the search results: "Don't see the organization you're looking for, you can create it.". Click on that link.
Fill out the Organization Profile, and you will have a brand new SpaceBase organization.
The profile form should be straightforward. Reminder, though, all of the data on SpaceBase.co except for the email address in your profile, is licensed under the CC BY SA 4 license.
Once you create your organization, you will see a few tabs on your organization profile page:
Here you can approve/reject applicants for membership to your organization. You can also edit their roles in your org, or invite new members via email. Only members of your organization can see the members list. Any member of the site can ask to become a member of your organization, but only you can approve or deny applicants.
The resources section allows you to highlight external resources that will be useful to your organization members. These might be links to dropbox, slack, google drive, important documents, etc. You can pin resources to the top of a category or mark them as important with a star. All resources are public information.
Threaded discussions are available for your organization members to post to. As the organization owner, you can edit any post or reply, or delete a thread entirely. People outside your organization can't post, but the discussions are public.
What to do if you find that an Organization has the wrong owner:
Don't worry. There are only a couple benign reasons that this might be, and we can fix the problem quickly, with your help.
First reason: Our research team added information about your organization to the NZ Space Directory. We add NZ space industry organizations to the directory under the user "spacebaseadmin". We only add very basic information that is public and we believe to be factual.
Second reason: Someone else added your organization to SpaceBase.co. This is something that we can resolve quickly, if you will contact us, by discussing it with you.
If you think that ownership of an organization should be changed, see our page on Taking ownership of an Organization on SpaceBase.