About this website:
This website hosts the New Zealand Space Directory, New Zealand Space Calendar, and other collaboration tools for the space industry in New Zealand.
We see a world in which all people have an opportunity to participate in the space industry on an equal footing, in accordance with their aptitude and ambitions.
We plan to contribute to this vision by making education and entrepreneurial support available to those who need it most.
In short, we want to democratize space. For space geeks like us, we would rather pass on the Federation than Elysium to the next generation, and we believe that outcome is best achieved when as many people as possible have the education and support required to participate in that effort.
Our History and Values:
SpaceBase was founded in 2016 by Emeline Paat-Dahlstrom and Eric Dahlstrom. In 2017, Rich Bodo signed on, the team joined the first cohort of the Edmund Hillary Fellowship, and SpaceBase Limited was founded.
When we established SpaceBase, we didn't see an ideal legal structure out there for it. We legally formed SpaceBase as an LLC, but we run it as an impact organization. Building upon the pioneering work of Enspiral, SpaceBase was able to start life with a constitution that limited our activities to Charitable ones. Our success is not measured in profit.
We will release our first annual impact report in 2018. Our ultimate goal is to automate reporting to the extent possible.
Today we are collaborating with the space community in New Zealand to:
- Continue to expand our directory system. This will allow us, together, to take an inventory of where we are, connect with one another, collect feedback, and plan out our next steps.
- Establish impact programs that we can iterate upon and improve over time. The New Zealand Space Challenge is an example of that. These are a key success metric for SpaceBase.
- Remain active in promoting gatherings and activities countrywide for the space industry.
- Establish a funding mechanism for our work.
- Build collaboration tools for our community.